Aquaman

Chat for flaming

Chat for Flaming  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a chat for flaming/banter

As a member of staff I see reports of flaming, name calling, and the list goes on. As someone that isn’t a PKER or someone that thinks flaming should ever be warranted, I also understand that a huge portion of the community does enjoy it. I am suggesting a ::banter yell option that can be toggled by people not taking part in the flaming. With this yell I think the rules as far as flaming should be more lenient, everything but irl threats, ddos threats, etc. I want you guys to leave feedback on this, as I believe this could stop with mutes and help the staff out as well. 

• Like 1

There still has to be some sort of extent/limit to what is said but ill leave it up to the community. 

I support a secondary yell designated strictly for banter, here's why:

• While I do think there should be some type of limit on specific statements that might be made (IRL threats, DDoS Threats, etc), i feel like this could be very beneficial for the community.
  • I see a lot of yell-related incidents occur quite frequently on our server and even if a player is muted for their behavior, it never really solves much as they argue again once the punishment has been lifted.
  • I feel like players would benefit more if we had a specific zone designed for settling your differences, and it would also justify punishments that occur based on mutable offense #1 of our server rules because they know there's a different chat they could've gone to.

I also think a majority of cases are pretty bogus when players get offended over something so small like people saying the words "kanker" "N**GER" and "slave" i think they only report it because they want the other person to get in trouble.

Seeing that i am black IRL myself, i have never found the N word to be offensive (nor the word slave). And i lost a close relative to cancer, and i still don't find kanker offensive.

But even if I personally don't get offended, i try to understand that other's might be a bit more sensitive to these type of words. Which is just another reason why we should add a banter-based yell (because we can really enforce getting it off of our normal yell).

This would cut down on a lot of "bait-and-reports" we see a lot on SpawnPK, and if proper clarification is placed on what is and is not allowed in this chat, i think it could be good.

+1

• Like 1

This would be awesome. Not only are you limiting the amount of flame in normal yell chat but you also make it acceptable to do on an average but limited way. +1111111111111111111111

Seeing as I was permanently banned for unintentionally making a fake ddos threat against someone, this would be very nice to see in game.

Where do you draw the line tho, some things are more or less offensive to someone than they are to others, so there be still be ppl complaining

Edited by despair

Hi,

I think it wouldn’t be bad to be at least taken into consideration as it wouldn’t bother other players anymore and it would really get more possitive mindsets about the server as there is no more negativity to be seen. It’s although a very debatable topic which is the reason I’m glad people share their opinions about it on this topic and so on.

~ Jorik

Edited by _Jorik_

3 hours ago, despair said:

Where do you draw the line tho, some things are more or less offensive to someone than they are to others, so there be still be ppl complaining

Great question, i'd say that these "lines" can always be erased/re-drawn if necessary, however...

These are the things i deem to be inappropriate no matter what setting you're in:

1. Anything that violates SpawnPK's server rules (DDoS Threats/RWT Attempts/RWT Trolls
  2. IRL Threats/Telling players to kill themselves
  3. Links/Advertisement (of any form)
  4. Encouraging players to break other SPK rules or even IRL laws - We don't need to walk up into a yell discussion about the deep web and how to get there (no thanks).

This is just a very small list to start out with, and i believe the community can all come together and include more restrictions for this banter-zone.

I see that two people said no, if you vote please explain why you voted in that manner. As someone who detests when people flame, I think this would be a good idea. The staff still needs to come up with more guidelines, absolutely, but this will hopefully clear up yell and keep the flaming visible to those who take part in it. It will still be moderated, but I believe more lenient rules would make a portion of our player base happy.  

I believe that some type of disclaimer should be added when going into that chat, that way no one can say they didn’t know what they said was against the rules. 

1 hour ago, Aquaman said:

I see that two people said no, if you vote please explain why you voted in that manner. As someone who detests when people flame, I think this would be a good idea. The staff still needs to come up with more guidelines, absolutely, but this will hopefully clear up yell and keep the flaming visible to those who take part in it. It will still be moderated, but I believe more lenient rules would make a portion of our player base happy.  

I believe that some type of disclaimer should be added when going into that chat, that way no one can say they didn’t know what they said was against the rules. 

3 actually, I voted no aswell. It's not that I don't think there needs to be a solution to the flaming because there definitely need to be, but I don't think this is the right way to go.

I do notice Aquaman doing most of the work since everytime I message a mod they ignore me Including @Ramzi @Ryan. I'm not trying to call you guys out but I have to wait days to get a reply from a mod about a concern on the server and even after that its usually just "sent to owners" and I don't read anything about it for weeks(if there is ever something to read). Still waiting on a player who's account got hacked and all I can assume is nothing is being done. Anyways the only solution I can come up with is more helpers to deal with things like flaming and much more.

There are limits to flaming on yell and I do sometimes see staff members warn the players to not flame in yell but they continue anyways and nothing happens. Maybe we should take the rules more seriously and apply punishments. This is the number 1 rule and I see people disobeying the rule everyday. Staff members should be muting and/or jailing the players that break rules like this. It's not rocket science, it's just a set of rules written by the owners and they even were kind enough to tell you the punishment. "Always result in punishment." I got nothing more to say on this topic, flaming should not be in yell or in a "sub yell."

1: Yell chat

• Yell chat should not be used for excessive arguing, flaming, harassing, etc.
    • If you have any issues with a player it should be taken to private messages
  • If you're warned by a staff member for any inappropriate activities on yell, please discontinue immediately
    • Refusal to do so will always result in punishment(s)

+1 I just hate seeing flames over yell for like 20 mins+ constantly bickering back and forth, adding a flame chat would defiantly reduce the peeps getting muted and us being annoyed. 

• Like 1

Tldr; it's redundant to allow pk banter.

Nature of the game and playerbase/community can make a game seem toxic. No game should ever support flaming in ANY way, and no major game does/ever will. There are rules/reports and entire sections of staff in some games dedicated to these topics for a reason. Even if this was implemented I don't think a yell chat would contain flaming. Actual harmless PK banter is already allowed on SPK Example: Bragging about your own skills while diminishing someone else's in a non threatening way. That is actual pk banter. Everyone's skewed view is general flaming = pk banter, which it does not. SPK's version of Pk banter = flaming, there's no disputing this. I imagine most flaming that happens already on SPK would be over the "limit" of what this yell chat would allow. Players wouldn't be toning it down any. 

I don't think a global broadcast is the way to fix flaming. If something really must be implemented I have a small idea:

Make ::banter a teleport to clanwars white portal, make it impossible to yell out of this zone, and make it where player who're tele'd there by staff cannot leave (teles explained below). It hardly sees any use anyway, also add a bank so players can change gear. This would turn it into a cesspool for scum to sit and flame all they want. Since the flaming should be "pk banter" one of them can freely walk into the PvP zone and call the other out. Basically if you want to sit there and chat you're gonna be avoiding. This could also work somewhat as a short term jail/punishment. Two or more people are clogging yell with their rambling? They get sent to banter with SPK's hardened convicts for a timeout instead of muted. This allows mods to more easily "punish" players for flaming without the repercussions of rule-breaking being so severe.

::banter should not be a full alternative to mutes, they should still be issued for severe punishments/breaches in allowance of topics.

Now this brings up why it useless to allow pk banter aka flaming: If two people wanna bicker about which one can do a 10 way switch faster and drop the other on their 4head they can step in the wild.

Edited by Y I P K U
  • Like 1

@Y I P K U I like your idea as well. I am just tired of all the nonstop flaming in yell and in help. We need to come up with some way to make things better. I am messaged on a daily basis by new people that see the nonstop flaming and don’t want to play anymore. Something needs to be implemented to cut down/end the constant toxic behavior in the yell/help cc. 

On ‎25‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 5:02 AM, Phenomenon said:

• While I do think there should be some type of limit on specific statements that might be made (IRL threats, DDoS Threats, etc), i feel like this could be very beneficial for the community.
  • I see a lot of yell-related incidents occur quite frequently on our server and even if a player is muted for their behavior, it never really solves much as they argue again once the punishment has been lifted.
  • I feel like players would benefit more if we had a specific zone designed for settling your differences, and it would also justify punishments that occur based on mutable offense #1 of our server rules because they know there's a different chat they could've gone to.

I also think a majority of cases are pretty bogus when players get offended over something so small like people saying the words "kanker" "N**GER" and "slave" i think they only report it because they want the other person to get in trouble.

Seeing that i am black IRL myself, i have never found the N word to be offensive (nor the word slave). And i lost a close relative to cancer, and i still don't find kanker offensive.

But even if I personally don't get offended, i try to understand that other's might be a bit more sensitive to these type of words. Which is just another reason why we should add a banter-based yell (because we can really enforce getting it off of our normal yell).

This would cut down on a lot of "bait-and-reports" we see a lot on SpawnPK, and if proper clarification is placed on what is and is not allowed in this chat, i think it could be good.

+1

Then you should un-uid the #1 banter god. :o 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cp1337 said:

Then you should un-uid the #1 banter god. :o 

4 minutes ago, xheadhunterx said:

? im #1 flamer you dumb spasmoid but i dont have my pin and pass anymore LMFAO

Ah oh LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, xheadhunterx said:

? im #1 flamer you dumb spasmoid but i dont have my pin and pass anymore LMFAO

I want to flame you now, but I promised I'm going to be nice to people, you lucky delusional german homoboy <3

(btw I'm going to munster on Saturday, see you there?) ;) 

On 4/24/2018 at 11:02 PM, Phenomenon said:

+1

dude how backwards are you, you insult people on yell for pking, then issue perm mutes when you get ragged/smacked.

Keep calling players "dirty mutts" and all the other shit you say, half my clan won't even yell because you and your clan flamebait so much then mute people

2w74yub.png

should an admin be able to flame bait and call people "dirty mutts" then have any say when they can ever speak in the server again? Bullshit

Edited by Macjim

11 hours ago, Macjim said:

dude how backwards are you, you insult people on yell for pking, then issue perm mutes when you get ragged/smacked.

Keep calling players "dirty mutts" and all the other shit you say, half my clan won't even yell because you and your clan flamebait so much then mute people

2w74yub.png

should an admin be able to flame bait and call people "dirty mutts" then have any say when they can ever speak in the server again? Bullshit

Anything that happens on his alt has nothing to do with him being admin. Staff are not supposed to be friendly but people seem to think they should. 

19 minutes ago, cokiemonsta said:

Anything that happens on his alt has nothing to do with him being admin. Staff are not supposed to be friendly but people seem to think they should. 

Bullshit. I disagree with your whole entire statement. But if you ever have an admin throw racially charged comments at you on his alt, then you get perm muted for defending yourself, maybe you'll feel the same way.

Staff should always be friendly to encourage the growth of the game.To see an admin get mad on his alt then come ban you over ridicules PK banter is complete garbage. What makes it more unfair is he lets his whole CC flame bait elementals members then mutes us.

Edited by Macjim

37 minutes ago, Macjim said:

Bullshit. I disagree with your whole entire statement. But if you ever have an admin throw racially charged comments at you on his alt, then you get perm muted for defending yourself, maybe you'll feel the same way.

Staff should always be friendly to encourage the growth of the game.To see an admin get mad on his alt then come ban you over ridicules PK banter is complete garbage. What makes it more unfair is he lets his whole CC flame bait elementals members then mutes us.

I agree with what you've said.

3 minutes ago, Mia said:

I agree with what you've said.

thanks homie, hopefully the higher up staff does too, cause im permanently muted cause of this shit, and the game is unplayable. not one person who flame baited me or my CC was even warned. #freemacjim #permUnfair

4 minutes ago, Macjim said:

thanks homie, hopefully the higher up staff does too, cause im permanently muted cause of this shit, and the game is unplayable. not one person who flame baited me or my CC was even warned. #freemacjim #permUnfair

in my opinion perm mute is too much , i suggest 2 weeks mute instead of  perm mute.

Edited by Mia

3 minutes ago, Mia said:

in my opinion perm mute is too much , i suggest 2 weeks mute instead of  perm mute.

Agreed.